Truly Healthy Eating Is Simple
First, block out the blizzard of food marketing around you.
Remember that advertisers want your money, and they don’t stop to consider if the food they promote will expand your waist – that’s your job.
It’s safe to say that, with few exceptions, any food that you see marketed should be avoided. When was the last time you saw an ad for grilled white fish and steamed broccoli?
So what does truly healthy eating look like?
A healthy meal contains lean protein, fresh vegetables and the occasional modest serving of whole grains.
Just as importantly, a healthy meal does NOT contain:
- Refined sugar / corn syrup
- Fried / fatty food
- Full fat dairy food
- Processed food with chemical additives
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. What you decide to eat when you first wake up will set the tone for the rest of your meals that day. Try these healthy options:
- Scrambled egg whites, sliced tomato and steamed spinach.
- Whole grain oatmeal, a scoop of protein powder and sliced fruit.
- Homemade breakfast sandwich: Multi-grain English muffin with lean turkey slices and egg.
It is important to plan your lunch ahead of time in order to avoid turning to a fast food joint or vending machine. Pack your lunch the night before and carry it with you. Try these healthy options:
- Dark baby greens topped with chopped chicken breast and diced tomatoes.
- Albacore tuna (packed in water), mixed with finely chopped cucumber.
- Lettuce Wrapped Sandwich: Lean turkey slices, lettuce, tomato and mustard.
Dinner is the meal where most people splurge and eat far more calories than they should. Eating at home is the first step in reducing your dinnertime calories. Try these healthy options:
- Grilled white fish, sautéed spinach and whole wheat couscous
- Baked chicken breast, steamed broccoli and brown rice
- Try the recipe for Cajun Salmon with Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli below.
While healthy eating is a huge factor in achieving your ideal weight, exercise is the other half of the equation. Your exercise routine should be challenging and should be done on a regular basis.
I know that you have more than enough in your life to think about without having to plan your own exercise routine. Leave that job to me—call or email today to get started on a personalized fitness program that will leave your body no choice but to shed those unwanted pounds.